Top 10 Foods Highest in Sugar (To Limit or Avoid)
Sugars are a form of carbohydrate found in a variety of foods, including fruits and vegetables. Since the dawn of agriculture and the industrial age consumption of sugar has increased rapidly, leading to an epidemic of obesity and other illnesses.
Like carbohydrates, excessive consumption of sugars can lead to type II diabetes, and cancer.
High sugar foods to limit or avoid include puddings, milkshakes, ice-cream, fruit juices, sugary soda drinks, cakes (especially with frosting), candies, fruit yogurts, fast foods, cereal bars, and commercial cereals. In this list, both the grams of sugar and teaspoons of sugar are given. 1 teaspoon is equal to 4 grams of sugar.
List of Foods High in Sugar
- 151g (37.8 tsp) sugar per cup
- 32g (7.9 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 50% sugar
Rice Pudding (Arroz Con Leche) contains 43g per serving (~1 cup)
Chocolate Mouse contains 30g per 1/2 cup
Nutrition Facts for Dulce de Leche.
- 85g (21.2 tsp) sugar per 12oz cup
- 28g (6.9 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 24% sugar
A medium ice-cream with chocolate topping contains 58g of sugar.
Vanilla ice cream contains 22g per 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts for McDONALDS McFLURRY with M&MS CANDIES.
- 72g (18 tsp) sugar per 16oz glass
- 47g (11.8 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 14% sugar
Other Fruit Juices High in Sugar per 16oz ServingPomegranate Juice (63g), Naked Mighty Mango (62g), Pineapple Juice (62g), and Apple Juice (48g).
Nutrition Facts for Grape Juice.
- 66g (16.4 tsp) sugar per 16oz bottle
- 52g (13 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 13% sugar
Other Sodas and Sugar Drinks High in SugarKiwi-Strawberry Drink (55g), Root Beer (52g), Cola (50g), Sprite (44g), Ginger Ale (43g), and Tonic Water (43g).
Nutrition Facts for Cream Soda.
- 64g (16.1 tsp) sugar per slice
- 32g (8.1 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 57% sugar
See the complete ranking of 200 baked foods high in sugar.
Nutrition Facts for White Cake with Coconut Frosting.
- 47g (11.8 tsp) sugar per 2.1oz bag
- 38g (9.4 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 76% sugar
A 2oz pack of Starburst sour fruit chews contains 33g.
A 2oz Baby Ruth bar contains 32g.
See the full list of high sugar candies and sweets.
Nutrition Facts for Candies MARS SNACKFOOD US SKITTLES Wild Berry Bite Size Candies.
- 47g (11.7 tsp) sugar per cup
- 37g (9.3 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 19% sugar
Nutrition Facts for Low Fat Fruit Yogurt (With Vitamin D).
- 45g (11.4 tsp) sugar per 3 pancakes
- 15g (3.8 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 21% sugar
- 39g (9.7 tsp) sugar per bar
- 18g (4.5 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 34% sugar
- 28g (7.1 tsp) sugar per cup
- 12g (3 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 23% sugar
What fruits and vegetables are high in sugar?
Fruits high in sugar include:
- Passion Fruit
Fruits low in sugar include:
Vegetables high in sugar include:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Green Peas
- Sweet Corn
Vegetables low in sugar include:
- Button (Crimini) Mushrooms
- Dark Leafy Greens
- Soybean Sprouts
Click to View Comments
Data Sources and References
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 26.