Top 10 Foods Highest in Sucrose
Sucrose is a disaccharide created by the combination of glucose and fructose. Sucrose is mainly found in plants and is the primary component of most granulated sugars we use in baking. These sugars are mainly refined from sugar beets or sugar cane. Sucrose consumption should be limited or avoided.
Today sucrose can be found in a range of fast foods, restaurant foods, and other commercially processed foods. These high sucrose foods include puddings, milkshakes, cakes, fruit juice drinks, deep-fried meats with sweet sauce, cookies, pancakes, dark chocolate, and commercial cereals. Sucrose is also found in fresh fruits, for more information, see the article on fruits high in sugar.
The list below gives the amount of sucrose in both grams and teaspoons. 1 teaspoon of packed sucrose weighs about 4 grams. For more high sucrose foods see the complete list in the nutrient ranking tool.
List of Foods Highest in Sucrose
- 127g (31.7 tsp) sucrose per cup
- 26.5g (6.6 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 41.8% sucrose
Rice Pudding (Arroz Con Leche) contains 29.6g per serving (~1cup)
Tapioca Pudding contains 28.8g per cup
Nutrition Facts for Dulce de Leche.
- 58.8g (14.7 tsp) sucrose per 12oz cup
- 19.1g (4.8 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 16.9% sucrose
More Ice-Creams and Milkshakes High in SucroseMcDonald's McFlurry with Oreos (58.8g sucrose)
Soft-Serve Ice-Cream with Milk Chocolate Candies (58.8g)
McDonald's Hot Fudge Sunday (35.2g)
Nutrition Facts for McDONALDS McFLURRY with M&MS CANDIES.
- 52.6g (13.1 tsp) sucrose per slice
- 19.3g (4.8 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 36.5% sucrose
Nutrition Facts for Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting.
- 40.5g (10.1 tsp) sucrose per 16oz glass
- 36.4g (9.1 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 8.2% sucrose
More Drinks High in Sucrose (grams of Sucrose per 16oz glass)Coffee with Sugar and Milk (39.6g), Iced Mocha (32.4g), Horchata (28.2g), and Ruby Red Cranberry Juice (26.6g).
1 8.4oz can of Red Bull contains 13.4g of sucrose.
See the ranking of all drinks high in sucrose.
Nutrition Facts for Beverages OCEAN SPRAY Cran Lemonade.
- 23.2g (5.8 tsp) sucrose per 9 pieces
- 9.4g (2.3 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 12.3% sucrose
More Deep Fried Dishes with Sweet Sauce High in Sucrose (grams per 9 pieces)Sesame Chicken (22g), General Tsos Chicken (17g), Lemon Chicken (11g), Sweet and Sour Chicken (9g), and Sweet and Sour Pork (6g).
Nutrition Facts for Restaurant Chinese orange chicken.
- 21.6g (5.4 tsp) sucrose in 3 cookes
- 19.7g (4.9 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 47.9% sucrose
Nutrition Facts for GLUTINO Gluten Free Cookies Vanilla Creme.
- 17.1g (4.3 tsp) sucrose per 3 pancakes
- 5.7g (1.4 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 7.8% sucrose
- 13.1g (3.3 tsp) sucrose per 1oz square
- 16.9g (4.2 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 46.3% sucrose
85% Dark Chocolate contains 6.8g per oz.
Nutrition Facts for Dark Chocolate (45-59% Cocoa).
- 11.8g (2.9 tsp) sucrose per cup
- 22.8g (5.7 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 6.1% sucrose
More Fruits High in Sucrose (grams of sucrose per cup)Mangoes (11.5g), Pineapples (9.9g), Apricots (9.1g), Pink Grapefruit (8.1g), Cantaloupes (7.7g), and Peaches (7.3g).
See the nutrient ranking of over 100 fruits high in sucrose.
Nutrition Facts for Tangerines.
- 9.6g (2.4 tsp) sucrose per 3/4 cup
- 19.2g (4.8 tsp) per 200 calorie serving
- Up to 35.5% sucrose
Click to View Comments
Data Sources and References
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28.